It’s not been a great summer weather wise, too many cool cloudy days with too much rain, but it’s been a great summer for beach books. Retirement stress is having way too many books come in at the library at the same time, (and all just new releases/ bestsellers so nonrenewable), so that the large stack on your bedside table starts to feel like some kind of pressure instead of a pleasurable pursuit. How will I ever get through all these books! I have just recently joined Goodreads (how did I ever survive without it all these years – it’s like a candy store for book lovers), and so will be posting reviews on my site as time permits…..(see link below) So far this summer I have read:
1. Into the Water – Paula Hawkins – (author of The Girl on the Train)
2. Camino Island – John Grisham (a legal tale for book lovers
3. The Identicals – Elin Hilderbrand (the Queen of Beach Fluff)
4. Secrets of a Happy Marriage – Cathy Kelly – (who is Maeve Binchy reincarnated)
5. All By Myself Alone – Mary Higgins Clark – (the Queen of Suspense) – just starting and good for a couple of late nights…
They were all good reads. You don’t want anything too heavy in the summer, (you can’t lug Anna Karenina to the beach, or Moby Dick unless of course you want to fall asleep), just a nice piece of beach fluff you can sink into while you sink your toes in the sand. There is nothing quite like a good beach read – you emerge four hours later when the sun is low in the sky and hopefully you will have remembered to apply sunscreen. It’s like the perfect summer fling, fun while while it lasts but not too memorable.
Song of the Day: Love Letters in the Sand – Pat Boone